Colorado homebuilders will be required to install carbon-monoxide detectors in new homes under a proposal signed into law in March.
House Bill 1091 takes effect July 1 requiring installation of the detectors in new and resold homes near bedrooms as well as rented apartments and homes.
The legislation was introduced after the death of Denver investment banker Parker Lofgren and his family. Lofgren, 39; his wife Caroline, 42; and their children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8, were found dead in a multimillion-dollar home near Aspen on Nov. 27, 2008, victims of carbon-monoxide poisoning. The family had won a holiday weekend stay in the home through a fundraiser.
In January, University of Denver graduate student Lauren Johnson died in her apartment - also of carbon-monoxide poisoning.
Neither of the homes had CO detectors.
The new law is formally named “The Lofgren and Johnson Family Carbon Monoxide Safety Act.”